A miter saw is designed for making cuts of various types and angles on woodwork projects. It makes accurate cuts and is so convenient for use. Miter saws can be used to make smooth cuts and provide quality service. It can make several cuts within a very short period.
TYPES OF MITER SAWS
• Original miter saw. This is the original saw that consists of a plastic or wooden box and is used to make miter cuts on any wooden object. The wooden box helps to reduce the kickback when it’s being used
• Standard or powered miter saw is made for cutting straight accurate cuts on various angles and mostly the creation of 45 degrees cut on the frames.
• The compound miter saw is another type whose design allows you to cut through all forms of shapes. It can rotate and make cuts of various angles. The saw is suitable for complex cuts on woods and frames. A compound miter saw can be used for making crosscuts when making the ship. It produces nice designs and makes the ship construction efficient and much faster. It is easy to use and will give you accurate cuts that will facilitate your work.
• Double compound miter. This is another kind of saw that allows the user to rotate and can be used to make decorations on the trim.
• Sliding miter saws. Allows the user to pull down cuts and can be rotated and is designed for complex cuts.
• Laser miter saws. These are more advanced and have integrated lasers which guide it to cut on the exact area. It illuminates the area to be cut and makes accurate cuts.
The use of a miter saw is to make regular crosscuts. The miter saw is very stable compared to other saws and so it can cut through accurately. It allows you to cut through wider boards using a sliding saw. It also reduces the cost and hence more convenient to use with a lower budget. The miter saw can cut through angled cuts. Most of the miter saws have been designed with the angle rotation feature. This enables you to create angles of your choice when cutting. It is suitable for woodworking tasks that include furniture. Moreover, it can be used to cut complicated angles on any woodworking project. The miter saw can be used to create bevel cuts on wider boards.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE SAW FOR YOUR WORK
Some of the things you need to consider before purchasing is to include the type of saw you intend to buy and the woodwork project you want to work on. It may also include the types of cuts you want to make and the size of the saw.
Other main factors to be considered include the following:
1. The number of teeth of the blade. Blades with fewer teeth tend to remove the material conveniently and faster.
2. Tooth configuration of the blade. The shape of the tooth of the blade affects the way the blade will cut. It will determine the suitable work for that blade.
3. Gullet. This is the space left on the foreside of each tooth. It is usually used to remove the chip. The larger the gullets, the bigger the size of chips to be removed and the smaller the gullet the fewer the chips to be removed.
4. The angle of the hook. A blade having a high hook angle will lead to sharper cuts while a low hook angle will result in a slow feed rate.
A miter saw can do amazing work in all woodwork projects. It can make regular cuts, angled cuts, compound angled cuts and other forms of woodwork such as trimming and flooring. It’s such a nice tool that should be used both at home and for commercial purposes.
It is cheap and easy to use. However, before buying one ensure that you go through the various types discussed so as to pick the right one for your work.